Las Cruces, New Mexico Becomes a US City

The beautiful city of Las Cruces, New Mexico, was incorporated as a US city on October 9, 1907.  The area was originally settled by the Manso Native American nation until the Spanish invaded in 1598.  The territory remained as part of the Spanish empire until 1821, when the Mexican government acquired the land.  After the Mexican-American War in 1848, Las Cruces and New Mexico became part of US territory.  Las Cruces is the second most populous city in New Mexico, and home to the land grant New Mexico State University. Latinx comprise about 57% of the city’s current population. (Image from LOC.gov, Las Cruces City Hall, 1942)