In the midst of the soft rush of wind through palm trees and the ocean breezes of the Pacific, the Spanish mission of Santa Barbara was dedicated on December 4, 1786. Known as the “Queen of the Missions”, Santa Barbara was the 10th of 21 California missions founded by the Spanish. The original buildings were simple structures of adobe which were rebuilt throughout the centuries. The Mission is now an active Catholic church parish. Its botanical garden, museum, and chapel provide glimpses into the long history of the Native American, Spanish, Mexican, and Yankee peoples who have taken rest in the cool shade of its white adobe walls.
http://www.thehispanicalmanac.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/December-4-1786-Santa-Barbara-Mission-e1536892780179.jpg 121 185 admin admin1786-12-04 22:27:332018-09-14 02:39:45The Queen of the Missions 1786